[time-nuts] Should a double oven XO be thermally isolated or just draft protected?

Erik Kaashoek erik at kaashoek.com
Fri Jul 1 14:40:02 UTC 2022

I'm trying to build a stable reference for a phase noise meter project
and have acquired a double oven XO that boosts high short term stability
(below 1e-12/s). But the spec also states that, even with the double
oven, there is still substantial impact of environmental temperature
changes (below 1e-8 changes over the normal operating temperature range)
so I was wandering if its good practice to try to thermally isolate the
DOCXO or do you run the risk of overheating as it always may burn some
power and its better to only shield it from draft?