[time-nuts] Re: DIY Low offset Phase Noise Analyzer

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Tue Jul 5 17:37:40 UTC 2022

Hi

One “cute trick” that can be done on the lowpass filter:

Ideally you would like to terminate the mixer properly at the DUT and DUT x 2
frequencies. Open circuit (or short circuit) is ok at audio. The quick and easy way
to do this is to put an appropriate resistor ( 50 ohm, 500 ohm, whatever ) in series
with C2 on your schematic. It is common to put an RF choke across it to get it
“out of the way” as you head to audio.

Spice is your friend in this case. It’s way easier to pump it into LTSpice or something
similar and tinker then trying to come up with some sort of math solution.

Stuffing in a resistor at the output of the lowpass is also a common thing. Again the
value is a “that depends” sort of thing. 500 ohms or 5K are the likely candidates. The
main value is to take the port to zero when the mixer is not being driven.

No, none of this is a big deal.

Since the ref out of the OCXO is likely a pretty noisy item, I would not get it anywhere
near the low noise audio part of the circuit. The mixer output is typically grounded and
the ref out is ignored. The EFC is driven off of the lock section of the circuit to keep
things in quadrature.

If things are “locking up” without a lock circuit then indeed the earlier post about injection
locking applies.

Bob