[time-nuts] Re: Isolation amp transistors

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Thu Jul 7 05:22:50 UTC 2022

Hi

> On Jul 6, 2022, at 1:53 PM, Richard Karlquist via time-nuts <time-nuts at lists.febo.com> wrote:
>
> The 2N5179 has high base spreading resistance (decreases isolation).

As does sticking a resistor (even a small one) in series with the base …. Yes, inductance
is even worse.

For “best isolation” in a cascode you very much want the base of the common base
stage nailed to ground. Typically “lower” Ft transistors with a decent base structure
are the best choice for the common base stage. Both stages benefit from low 1/F noise
in the audio range if this is for a phase noise test set.  This is why people use what would
normally be considered “audio” transistors ….

Bob