[time-nuts] DIY Low offset Phase Noise Analyzer (Erik Kaashoek)

Mike Monett mike at binsamp.e4ward.com
Thu Jul 7 13:52:12 UTC 2022

You wrote:

> Mike.
> One concern I have with active components as mixer is noise. For an SA I
> designed only a passive DB diode mixer had low enough output noise. Would a
> PF detector as being an active component, not create more noise as output?
> Erik

Eric, you do not have to give up your double balanced mixer. You can use a
phase/frequency detector to lock the reference to the DUT, and still use
the DBM to do the phase noise analysis.

Here is a block diagram of the circuit: pna.png

I don't know if this is going to work, so I will send this email and wait
for it to show up in the lists. If it does, I have a lot more information
for you.