[time-nuts] Re: DIY Low offset Phase Noise Analyzer (Erik Kaashoek)

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Thu Jul 7 15:55:53 UTC 2022

Hi

Yes, you do need to know the system gain. Since we are talking about
gain at audio, measuring the gain directly is not a crazy thing to do. One
of the things that makes audio spectrum analyzers a nice tool for this that
they eliminate the “variable gain to the sound card” issue.

Some sound card setups are a lot easier to work with than others. If you
are restricted to the sound input on your motherboard things can get a bit
crazy. It is not unusual for folks to dig up a “pro” (whatever that means
on a sound card ) card that has better drivers and more access to this and
that.

Given how fast the PC world changes, the board that was a wonderful thing
last time somebody dove in, likely is long out of production by now. The drivers
that made it work so well may have been “improved” and it no longer gives
you the control it once did. This makes for a bit of trial and error to get it all
going.

Bob