[time-nuts] Re: DIY Low offset Phase Noise Analyzer (Erik Kaashoek)

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.se
Fri Jul 8 01:19:19 UTC 2022

Hi,

A well established method is to use a separate offset RF generator that
you can steer frequency to form suitable offset and amplitude to form
known level. You can now inject this ontop of a signal to measure.
Consider that you steer your offset frequency to be +1 kHz of the
carrier you measure, and you set the amplitude to be -57 dB from the
carrier. This now becomes equivalent to having a -60 dBc phase
modulation at 1 kHz.

The RF generator does not have to be ultra-clean in phase noise just
reasonably steerable in frequency and amplitude.

Cheers,
Magnus