[time-nuts] Need some insight into a Wenzel 10MHz oscillator

Walter Shawlee 2 walter2 at sphere.bc.ca
Sat Jul 9 15:30:48 UTC 2022

I stripped a Wenzel 500-01362C 10MHz osc. module from an old Boonton 4220
power meter.  This small can takes +15V, and draws about 60mA when
powered up.
initially it is roughly 1KHz high, but slowly creeps down in frequency.
after about 12 hours, it is
right on frequency (compared to my GPS), and stable. the weird thing is
that at that point,
it is quite warm, and draws 0.13A. clearly some heating is involved. I
cycled it twice, the same
exact sequence occurs.

this shift in current is *backwards* to most ovenized units, and I am
surprised by the long warm
up period. does any one have any info on this model?  the Wenzel site
has legacy products listed,
(but all with 501- prefixes) but not this one (500-), this unit has a
1989 date code.

it's a nice unit, but I would really appreciate some more info on it if
possible. It has a 50 ohm sine output
with an SMA (reasonably clean), and a TTL output which is full of
overshoot and ringing (not so good).
it has a mechanical frequency adjust that is hard to set exactly, and
one unconnected pin which might
be for trimming, just not sure.

all the best,
walter

--
Walter Shawlee 2
Sphere Research Corp. 3394 Sunnyside Rd.