[time-nuts] What about the frequency discrimination method? (offshoot from DIY PN analyzer)

ed breya eb at telight.com
Sun Jul 10 18:26:02 UTC 2022

Hi Magnus,

I know what you mean about not needing a quadrature splitter - if you
have a very wide phase or delay tuning range - but I'm picturing getting
most of the way to quadrature with a fixed structure for a given
frequency, and only fine-tuning the phase over a narrow range, in order
to minimize the PLL's overall noise contribution. This should also keep
it monotonic - too wide a range may let it get stuck on the humps.

For amplitude calibration, I'm picturing rearranging the splitter ports
or guts somehow (as simply as possible) to present the DUT signal to the
mixer at 0 or 180 degrees, which should give a maximum DC out.

BTW I had never heard of the Tayloe detector, but it appears to be the
method (4x f multiplier then digital quadrature divide) used in lock-in
analyzers, and I have used the same in a number of projects.

Azelio wrote:
"How can you measure something, any type of measure, not only PN,
without a reference? Voltmeters need voltage references, "timemeters"
(and frequency meters) need time references."

Azelio, this is a well known technique - I haven't described anything
new, just a particular implementation I've been pondering.

Ed