[time-nuts] Re: DIY Low offset Phase Noise Analyzer (Erik Kaashoek)

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.se
Sun Jul 10 18:57:21 UTC 2022

Hi Erik,

On 7/10/22 17:52, Erik Kaashoek via time-nuts wrote:
> I've updated the schematic to include the latest additions and added
> some new measurements
>
> Schematic: http://athome.kaashoek.com/time-nuts/PNA/Simple_PNA.pdf
>
> The resistor values (many 18k) are a bit weird but I happen to have a
> big box of 18k resistors.
> The value of the low pas filter after the mixer (C2,C3,L1) are
> probably wrong. Calculate yourself for the corner frequency you want.
I get 22,5 kHz which isn't completely off the charts. Sure helps to eat
the 20 MHz and higher, as well as stray 10 MHz. For the 20 MHz it will
in ideal have -180 dB damping, but in practice it will leak over but
probably not too bad.
> The elco's in the PI_controller and the input of the Audio_LNA are
> probably going to explode due to reverse polarity.

You want the resistor and capacitor to be in series and not in parallel
in that negative feedback.

As you put a resistor in parallel you will drain the state of the
capacitor and loose performance.

You can choose to either locate a 1 uF non-polar cap, or shift the
values a bit to get into plastic caps such as polypropylene. 100 nF and
220 nF should be easy enough to get hold off. You could even put a pair
of 470 nF in parallel.

A generic note: Most if not all op-amps tends to operate better in terms
of offset behavior as they see about the same resistance DC on both +
and - inputs.

> The output of the REF_Buffer acts as the virtual ground so care was
> taken (almost) not to draw any current, except for the input of the
> Audio_LNA.
> The supply of the opamps is not drawn but its from Ground and Vcc (+12V)
> I've tested symmetric supply but the combination of the REF output
> voltage from the DOCXO and the REF_Buffer provided the least noise.
> The audio_LNA has a gain of 1 for DC and increasing to 100 for for 1Hz
> and above
> The R/C values around the PI_Controller have not been optimized but
> they work.
> As the Summer OPAMP inverts to 5-10V the Inverter OPAMP brings it back
> to 0-5V for the Vtune of the DOCXO
You could do away with the Summer and Inverter op-amps if you fed the
TUNING into the + input of the inverter. By skewing the PI-controller
balance the output will be suitably offset. The benefit will be that you
avoid noise contribution from two op-amps and their resistors.
> The LED's provide visual feedback on the tuning. IF both are just on
> the PLL is in lock. It may be better to have two LED's in series at
> each side to increase the dimming.

I would advice moving those LEDs off-board. Let that run on separate
"dirty" power. I love the direct observation aspect, but I fear it just
add noise to the measurement.

Keep up the good work!

Cheers,
Magnus