[time-nuts] Re: GPS failed

Scott McGrath scmcgrath at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 11:18:13 UTC 2022

I’m going to bring up jamming here as 1) i live directly under a military air route.  2) a local OTR  trucker brings regularly scheduled jamming when he leaves/arrives home.

Your client could also be in proximity to a ‘prepper’ who is running a GPS jammer to prevent ‘three letter agencies’ from tracking them.   Or a trucker doing the same and forgetting to shut down their jammer.   GPS jammers are available ‘under the counter’ at virtually every truck stop in the US.

Yes it’s highly illegal and disrespectful of other system users and in the prepper case will eventually attract the attention of those very authorities they wished to avoid.

A reasonable way to check for jamming is the FAA ADS-B system.   if a ADS-B outage exists in same area and time as client sees GPS failure Client is likely to be experiencing jamming as ADS-B utilizes onboard GPS receivers to report aircraft position using a transmitter at   1090MHz in real time instead of depending on ATC radar to trigger a transponder.

Link to the FAA ADS-B outage system below

https://sapt.faa.gov/outages.php?outageType=129001450&outageResolution=0.5

Content by Scott
Typos by Siri