[time-nuts] DIY Low offset Phase Noise Analyzer (Erik Kaashoek)

Mike Monett mike at binsamp.e4ward.com
Wed Jul 13 00:05:18 UTC 2022

To Bob kb8tq:

Unfortunately, most of your post made very little sense. D-flops are noisy,
and the higher you go in frequency, the noisier they are. This is clear
from the schematic. Here is the schematic for a MC1670 D-flop: MC1670SC.PDF.

Most of the noise is generated in the input SR latch. When the clock signal
arrives, the input latch state is transferred to the output SR latch.
Obviously, the sheer number of transistors involved is going to generate
noise.

Unfortunately, the D-flop is needed in every known synthesizer. Keeping
this noise out of the signal is the goal of every designer. Stanford
Research Systems is one company that has mastered the art. See

https://www.thinksrs.com/products/siggen.html

But you need to know how much noise is involved. That is where my new
method can help. I am busy collecting parts - the HMC984LP4E's will arrive
tomorrow, and I am looking for a pair of low noise VCXO's.

I will have to regenerate test equipment that I haven't used in 5 decades
to measure deadband, loop bandwidth, damping, crosstalk, jitter response,
etc. I will also get a DBM to compare the results.

I will also need ripple filters for the electronics. I have described this
before in 2N3906G.PNG

All this will take time - maybe months. But I have intended on making my
own phase noise analyzer for a long time, and this will be an excellent way
to get started.

Along the way, there are plenty of other projects to attend to: a 4GHz to
8GHz low noise signal generator using YIG oscillators, a GPSDO to supply an
accurate 10MHz reference, a new method of eliminating the sampling jitter
in the 1PPS signal from the GPDSO, a low noise VCXO to supply a 10MHz
reference from the 1PPS signal, an ultra stable signal generator to allow
sampling of signals up to 150GHz, and so on.

As there is little else to talk about, I will go silent while I am working
on these projects.

Bye

Mike