[time-nuts] Re: DIY Low offset Phase Noise Analyzer

Lux, Jim jim at luxfamily.com
Wed Jul 13 13:50:31 UTC 2022

On 7/13/22 5:24 AM, Dan Kemppainen via time-nuts wrote:
> Erik,
>
> Just a thought. The 7805 in your schematic appears to be a big part of
> the signal chain. I've run into issues with 78xx series regulators
> being noisy. Spent a few weeks chasing down noise issues in some
> equipment and the 78xx regulator was a part of the problem. Replaced
> it with LT3042 as part of the solution.
>
> Also note, not all 7805's are created equal. Different vendors may be
> better/worse than others.
>
> Good luck!
>
> Dan

+1 for the 200 mA LT3042 (and the higher current 0.5A LT3045). There are
now negative voltage versions, too, LT3094, also 0.5A.

Noise from 10Hz to 100kHz is around 0.8 microvolts.  At 10 kHz 2
nV/sqrt(Hz).  But the real thing these things are good at is PSRR at
higher frequencies.  >70dB at 1 MHz

They have enable inputs, can be paralleled willy-nilly, etc