[time-nuts] Re: DIY Low offset Phase Noise Analyzer (Erik, Kaashoek)

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Wed Jul 13 18:36:46 UTC 2022

Hi

One of the “interesting” gotchas with some sound cards:

The frequency response goes to (say) 48 KHz. The noise
performance goes to (maybe) 20 KHz. Past that point there
is a nasty rise in the noise floor. How common this is … who
knows.

For a lot of applications, the system floors out well before
10 KHz. There really isn’t a lot of need for phase noise past
that ( other than for spurs ).

It’s debatable just what the “best” approach for wide band
spurs is. A notch filter in front of a spectrum analyzer is a
often a good way to go.

Bob