[time-nuts] Re: Comparing 3 oscillators using a 2 channel frequency counter?

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Tue Jul 19 18:19:25 UTC 2022

Hi

This process is typically referred to as a “three corner hat” approach. There are
a lot of papers about doing it and the often surprising results. These days it is
commonly done with simultaneous sampling ADC based setups.

Back when they tried it with “analog” sorts of approaches ( take three data sets
and then subtract this from that) the results often came out a bit crazy. That improved
with the ADC setups. You still can easily get nutty results. This is often true if the
noise levels of this or that DUT are much better / much worse than the others.

Sometimes “nutty” is very obvious. You can’t have noise that low ( or negative
results). The more pesky case is when the result *might* be correct. Fortunately
the really crazy outcome is the more likely failure mode.

By far the most simple approach ( and one with very few gotchas) is to simply
compare A to B, B to C, and A to C. One of those pairs will be better than the
others. Put the oscillator that is not part of that pair back on the shelf and start
with another. It’s not fast, but neither are the sorts of runs involved with the ADC
setups.

Bob