[time-nuts] Re: Comparing 3 oscillators using a 2 channel frequency counter?

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Tue Jul 19 21:02:44 UTC 2022

 > As a good engineer I want to check the short and long term stability
 > of all my oscillators but to do that a need a better oscillator...

Ah, welcome to the slippery slope of being a time nut. Some hints:

1) Don't expect any one oscillator to be "the best". In a pile of
oscillators one may have best ADEV at tau 100 s, but poor ADEV at tau
0.1 s. One may have lowest drift per day. One may have best phase noise
at 100 Hz; one may have best phase noise at 100 kHz. So if you are
looking for a reference oscillator be prepared to have several, each
with its own region of proven excellent performance. Note also that some
oscillators may have worse tempco than others, so one might be your best
tau 1000 s reference on a cloudy day but not the one to trust on a sunny
day.

2) A single input frequency counter is sufficient. Sure, 2 or 3 or N
channels is nice but it's not necessary. Pick a tau, say 10 s. Then
collect an hour of data measuring oscillator #1. Then do the same for
#2. If their ADEV differs you have found the better one. If the ADEV is
the same, then a) the oscillators are in fact the same, or b) they
differ but are both better than the reference clock of the counter. It
doesn't take much time to sort through a pile of oscillators in this
way. At some point you will then use one of the better ones as the
reference for your counter.

3) Let's assume that neither your reference nor your instrument is the
limiting factor. Make ADEV plots of each oscillator and that tells you
everything you need to know about which oscillator is best over some
range of tau.

The 3-hat trick works with this method too. ADEV is a log-log plot and
noise tends to add like RMS, so the gaps between different ADEV lines
reveals their relative noise difference. You can take the pair-wise ADEV
readings and directly compute oscillator stability using 3-hat. In other
words, you don't need to perform 3-hat on the phase data itself, you can
just perform it on the ADEV table. It's as easy as the Pythagorean Theorem:

http://leapsecond.com/tools/3hat1.c

/tvb