[time-nuts] Re: Practical relation between Phase Noise and ADEV

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Fri Jul 22 18:11:46 UTC 2022

Hi

Since ADEV is a “broadband” measure, mapping it to phase noise is … errr ….
non-trivial. In fact HP ran into a brick wall trying to do this on one of their devices
back in the early 1970’s. This was for ADEV -> Phase Noise.

If you want to go from xDEV to phase noise, it turns out that the Hadamard variance
is a better starting point. There still is a bit of math involved. You can’t just look at
1 sec and get to 1 Hz.

Going the other way ( phase noise -> xDEV ) is a bit more practical. The issue there
is still the broadband stuff. In one case, close in dominates. In another case far removed
drives what you see. The “general” answer is to push a wide range of frequencies
into the measurement.

No this is not as crazy as a jitter measure, but it shares a lot of the same sorts of issues.

Bob