[time-nuts] Re: NRCan PPP Observations

Tom Wallace thomas.h.wallace at gmail.com
Sat Jul 23 12:16:28 UTC 2022

Hi Skip,

I've been using a similar process to monitor oscillator stability for a
couple of years. Here are my observations:.

1. The clock offset produced by NRCan (or any other PPP processor) is
with respect to a time scale defined by the orbit and clock data used.
None of these data are constrained to be continuous at the nanosecond
level, especially across the 00 UT boundary. It's not an error, it's
just an artifact of how the orbit and clock data are computed.

2. You can, however, compare your oscillator to another oscillator using
a crude PPP time transfer method. Process RINEX files for the same time
period from your receiver and a reference receiver connected to a *very*
good clock, using the same method. This means submitting them at the
same time if you're using NRCan, so that the same orbit and clock data
are used. The result is an estimate of the offset of both clocks with
respect to the time scale used in processing. Subtracting the offsets
yields an estimate of the difference between the two clocks, with most
of the effects due to time scale jumps removed.

3. RINEX data for some *very* good clocks are available with a latency
of several hours to a couple of days. There are several national
standards organizations that run GNSS receivers connected to their
reference oscillator (a well-tended maser steered to UTC). It's
important to choose a clock with a similar view of the GNSS
constellations so that you'll be mostly using the same satellites. The
US Naval Observatory is a good choice in North America, and the PTB,
Observatoire de Paris, and the Royal Observatory of Belgium would be
good choices for Europe.

4. You can check your processing by using data from two of these
national stations: compare USNO to PTB by this method, for example. The
differences should be very slowly varying, and the week-to-week changes
should be similar to the values in BIPM Circular T for those stations. I
have a better list of the station identifiers at work, but off the top
of my head, station USN7 is the US Naval Observatory with frequency
input from the maser defining UTC(USNO), and PTBB is the German
Physikalisch-Technische Bundesanstalt with frequency input from the
maser defining UTC(PTB).

5. The RINEX data for reference stations is downloadable from several
locations. I've used UNAVCO
(https://www.unavco.org/data/gps-gnss/file-server/file-server.html), but
there are other sources. Often the data are compressed using a standard
method (Hatakana compression); there are converters to recover standard
RINEX at https://terras.gsi.go.jp/ja/crx2rnx.html.

6. If you get tired of waiting for NRCan, it's possible to use gLAB
(https://gage.upc.edu/gLAB/), a GNSS processor developed by the
Universitat Pollitecnica de Catalunya in Barcelona, to do the processing
yourself. You'll be using IGS orbit and clock data, which are slightly
different from NRCan, but the results are very similar, and you can set
the processing to run automatically on your own systems.

7. This is a very simple approximation to one of the time transfer
methods (PPP) used by the national laboratories to compare clocks across
continents. I'm sure that several of the list members have experience
doing PPP time transfer between national labs, and I'd be very
interested in their input on improvements that are accessible to those
outside of national labs who want to do precise time transfer.

  -- Tom Wallace