[time-nuts] Re: Is SC the most stable cut for lowest phase noise?

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Wed Jun 8 21:17:06 UTC 2022

Hi

The stability depends on a long list of things. Since you can get higher
Q with an AT than you can with an SC, if Q was all that mattered, the AT
would be the king of the hill.

The oscillator circuit matters, but different parts of it matter in different ways.
The things you might do for low phase noise at a 100KHz offset might be
a bad idea if very good ADEV at 100 seconds was the target.

Tuning any high Q circuit very far off frequency probably is not a great idea.
Keeping all of the “optimizations” on target over a wide pull range is not at
all simple.

If you are designing an OCXO from scratch, there is a lot to learn and hundreds
of papers out there to get you started. If you are buying one, things are a bit
more simple. You look at the spec sheet and decide if it’s going to do the job
or not. Worst case, you buy a couple and test them.

Bob