[time-nuts] Is SC the most stable cut for lowest phase noise?

brucekareen at aol.com brucekareen at aol.com
Thu Jun 9 17:03:50 UTC 2022

My only experience with SC-cut crystals is that time base oscillators in later EIP/Phase-Matrix counters with SC-cut crystal oscillators seem to warm-up from a cold start and stabilize more quickly than earlier AT-cut versions.  I was surprised to see from Jeff Cartwright's paper that SC-cut crystals operate at higher temperatures.  Could this rapid warm up characteristic be attributable to oven design rather than crystal cut?
Bruce