[time-nuts] HP5065A optical package rebuild

cdelect at juno.com cdelect at juno.com
Mon Jun 13 16:15:20 UTC 2022

Hi!

Over the years I have several times removed and rebuilt the lamp oven
cylinders for the HP5065A optical unit.
This is a time consuming and tricky bit of work as the other wiring runs
just under the surface of the potting used to hold the cylinder. Knowing
where they approximately lie and being careful not to remove the potting
in a large area around that point (I call it the exclusion zone!) the
cylinder can be removed.

I just had the occasion to rebuild an optical unit that had lost
continuity to BOTH ovens AND the C-field winding!

A bit daunting but after quite a bit of work success! It easily meets
specs and is working quite well.
Thought I'd share a PIX of the innards prior to the rebuild.

Cheers,

Corby