[time-nuts] Re: Fixing PN degradation via ADEV measurement

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Sun Jun 19 02:41:28 UTC 2022

Hi

The “typical” approach to doing this is to multiply up to something around
100 MHz with a relatively narrowband PLL. You can get ( or build ) VCXO’s
in this range with phase noise (at 10KHz offset) in the 160’s to (maybe) 170’s.
This is much better performance than a 5 or 10 MHz reference can deliver
when multiplied to that frequency.

The “cross over” between multiplied reference noise and a fairly good VCXO
should typically be in the 50 to 200 Hz range. Since it is highly dependent on
the exact parts chosen, there is no “one size fits all” answer.

Bob