[time-nuts] Re: Fixing PN degradation via ADEV measurement

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Sun Jun 19 18:36:14 UTC 2022

Hi

If the objective is “phase noise -130 dbc at a 10 KHz offset” and the signal is
at 25 MHz, the resultant jitter ( in a 10 KHz bandwidth ) is likely in the < 500 fs
range. The CNT-91 is only a 50 ps resolution device.

Since it’s a counter, there is no practical way to vary the bandwidth. You get
whatever the internal processing gives you. Even then, at 25 MHz a broadband
-130 dbc/Hz phase noise ( 10 MHz bandwidth) is still below 10 ps. Still below
the counter’s floor.

One of *many* calculators that let you play with jitter from phase noise:

https://rf-tools.com/jitter/ <https://rf-tools.com/jitter/>

It’s just the first one Mr Google turned up. There may be much better ones
out there.

Bob