[time-nuts] Re: Fixing PN degradation via ADEV measurement

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Tue Jun 21 00:04:36 UTC 2022

Hi

Ok, single mixer phase noise basics:

First thing is to womp the mixer up to the point it almost smokes. Putting +7 dbm into
both ports on a “7 dbm” mixer is very normal in this case. Watching for the fact that the
mixer likely is *not* a 50 ohm load is part of the process ( = pads might help out) as well
as understanding that it does not have a monster amount of isolation ( = isolation amps
may be needed ).

Next one generates a beat note by offsetting the two oscillators a bit. This gives you a nice
360 degree sweep function ( 360 degrees per cycle :) ). From that you can work out the
system sensitivity in volts per degree ( or better yet per radian since that’s what you actually
want as the “magic number” …. it’s phase modulation so radian is king …).

Next you lock the two oscillators together via a DC feed out of the mixer to one or the
other of them. You adjust the “lock point” so that it is at zero volts out of the mixer. This
puts the two oscillators in quadrature. Yes, there is that messy 2X the input frequency RF
output and the inevitable leakage. Those are handled with a lowpass filter.

The output of the mixer is now “just noise”. There is no nasty carrier to deal with. There is
no messy fold over to wonder about. What you get is the DSB noise ( so both sides of
carrier) from the sum of the two oscillators.

Output of the mixer goes up if you terminate it in an “high” load. Something like 500 ohms
on a 50 ohm mixer or 5K ohms on an RPD-1 is often used. The isolation seems to be ok
either way and the added gain / better floor is “free”.

Simply put you add 3 db when you look at DSB if it’s uncorrelated, and another 3 db if the
oscillators are identical. Your “output” is 6 db higher than the single sideband / single oscillator
phase noise. You can argue that close in noise is likely correlated due to it being a modulation
on the carrier. The standard convention is to use 3 db.

Amplify the noise up and you can measure very low levels of phase noise. Low noise
audio op-amps are pretty easy to find spec sheets on. With anything these days finding
them on the shelf may be “interesting”. The OP-27 / OP-37 with low resistance in the
feedback path go way back for this application. There are a lot of other candidates.

The cutoff of the lock signal typically is adjustable to keep it below the lowest point
of interest for your noise testing. If that is impractical, there are ways to calibrate and
read “inside the loop”.

The HP 3048 phase noise analyzer was based on this approach. The original app note most
folks started from came from Fluke back in the early 1970’s. I have not (yet) found a good
copy of it on the internet.

Fun !!!

Bob