[time-nuts] Re: Fixing PN degradation via ADEV measurement

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Tue Jun 21 17:31:02 UTC 2022

Hi

With an audio spectrum analyzer, and an RPD-1 mixer, and +10 dbm on
each side of the mixer …. you should be able to get away with about 20 db
of “preamp gain”. Yes, that’s dependent on exactly what analyzer you have.

The typical sound card may well need closer to 50 db of gain. That’s better
done with two op-amp stages than trying to get it all in one shot. Again there’s
an assumption involved about wanting 40 to 100 KHz sort of “top end” for the
measurement.

Ground loops ( and power line noise ) are indeed a *very* big thing in all these
measurements. ADEV / phase noise / whatever. Being able to see the crud makes
getting rid of it much easier. That’s not to in any way to say it’s easy, only that it’s
easier.

Fun !!!

Bob