[time-nuts] Re: Repeatability of stability measurements

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.se
Fri Jun 24 21:49:03 UTC 2022

Hi Hans-Georg,

Does the E1740A also has the STP2945 as timing reference?

First of all, you have nice illustrations of the white phase modulation
noise slopes, of tau^1.5 as expected in the MDEV. Trouble is, it's not
pure WPM noise, but a mixture of the noise and the quantization effect.
So, it would be good if the E1740A is known to either free-float or
locked to one of the references.

By using MDEV you utilize the averaging benefits over the ADEV, giving a
sqrt(1E7) benefit as you hit 1 s. However, while your slope will roughly
coincide with the single-shot resolution, it's exact position is more
complex. The relative frequency may cause the resolution to go up and
down due to systematic nature, and the noise in addition to the signal
will intermodulate with the systematics.

If you have both these long-term locked to a stable source, it should
stabilize. Also, since you have a slow beating pattern of the
systematics, exactly when you measure may decide if it is high or low on
that valey.

You very clearly see systematic noise in the phase noise. These are for
sure fighing against you.

Do more of these phase noise analysis and see if any of the systematics
there coinside with high or low noise, or if indeed the noise floor
moves up and down.

This slope is more tricky than it get credit for.

Cheers,
Magnus