[time-nuts] Re: First PN measurement results at 1 Hz to 20 kHz from carrier

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.se
Sun Jun 26 18:52:26 UTC 2022

Hi Erik!

Great progress! Sure interesting to look at them phase-noise plots,
right? It's a really good tool in addition to the stability of ADEV and
friends.

As I recall it, the ADE-1 is not documented to be isolated, but it is
very obvious when you look down the backside of it. However, it has
capacitive coupling and one should consider both common mode rejection
and common mode loading it down for these to work well.

Word of caution when it comes to levels, as the windowing filter used
causes shifts in noise-levels, so estimation of noise-levels becomes a
little bit tricky as you try to get the nitty gritty right, but getting
the overall shape view you already gained a lot with the things you
achieved.

A technique used to push further down into lower noise-levels is the
cross-correlation technique, where you split the signal into two
channels, each being exactly what you have now, and then rather than
squaring the output of the FFT from each channel, you multiply one with
the completment of the other, then average on those. This allows you to
supress the noise of each reference oscillator. You do not have to go
there from start, as you already make very useful measurements, but I'm
just suggesting what may lie up ahead.

Compared to some of the other sources, the Rigol SG does fairly well,
but then again, things can be even more quiet. For the XO you can see
the 15 dB/Oct slope as expected for flicker frequency. Try to locate the
source of the peaks you see and see if you can clean it up. The XO seems
to be a fairly good DUT for doing that.

Cheers,
Magnus