[time-nuts] Re: First PN measurement results at 1 Hz to 20 kHz from carrier

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Mon Jun 27 16:06:25 UTC 2022

Hi

> On Jun 27, 2022, at 1:43 AM, Erik Kaashoek via time-nuts <time-nuts at lists.febo.com> wrote:
>
> Magnus, Bob,
> When the mixer is operating in the linear region for the DUT input (0dBm or lower), would it be possible to use a calibrated noise sources  to do an extra verification of the noise level measurement?
> Of course with a noise source you get 3dB as both sidebands fold.

The “normal” approach is to put the mixer into saturation. This gives you the
best noise floor. It also does a bit better at separating AM noise from PM noise
(since you are trying to measure phase noise …..).

> Verification steps:
> Verify the DUT output level is correctly brought to 0dB (using attenuators) using a calibrated spectrum analyzer
> Connect the DUT to the phase measurement setup and set the reference to a 500Hz offset to get a beat note and verify the beat note is registered at 0dB, change the DUT level some dB up and down to confirm its in a linear region.
> Measure the per Hz output power of a noise source using a calibrated spectrum analyzer and a noise marker set to 10MHz.
> Connect the noise source to the phase measurement setup and check if the noise level is measured at level measured by the spectrum analyzer + 3dB
> This should work if the RBW of the phase measurement is indeed set to 1Hz.

If you do it this way, you still need to do conversion for the “one radian” reference
level that is used with phase modulation ( = the reference is *not* one cycle ). Yes
that’s a bit weird / obscure.

> Another verification option may be to use the phase modulation of a signal generator. This can not check the effective noise bandwidth of the FFT but it can check linearity over the whole range.
> The output of the mixer is terminated with 50ohm so a factor of 10 in voltage should give a 20dB power step.

Audio termination at 50 ohms does not do much for isolation. (again a bit of an obscure
point). By terminating in 10X the nominal impedance ( so 500 ohms in this case) you get
another 6 db of gain in the system. Since this is ahead of the preamp, it might improve
your noise floor.

Bob