[time-nuts] Re: Stability question

jack.davis jack.davis at engineer.com
Thu Mar 3 07:15:44 UTC 2022

My antenna is active and it uses 5 volts.  I tried 2 different mushroom type antennas with pipe mounts and ironically a magnet mount. Automotive antenna outperforms it even with several feet of RG 174 cable.  Go figure??Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone by Morse code.
-------- Original message --------From: ed breya <eb at telight.com> Date: 3/2/22  9:29 PM  (GMT-08:00) To: time-nuts at lists.febo.com Subject: [time-nuts] Re: Stability question I suppose you could do a split type distribution of the conversion functions, but it may be simpler to just add some more gain at L1 with an in-line amplifier - preferably close to the far (antenna) end. You'd have to work out how to provide the DC power for it, like taking some 5V supply current off the line, and passing the rest to the LNA at the antenna.If your existing antenna is passive (no LNA right at it), then that's the first thing to do - get an amplified type. Presuming it is already a typical amplified type, then adding another gain stage at the right spot can make up for a lot of cable loss.Ed_______________________________________________time-nuts mailing list -- time-nuts at lists.febo.com -- To unsubscribe send an email to time-nuts-leave at lists.febo.comTo unsubscribe, go to and follow the instructions there.