[time-nuts] Re: HP Z3801A project update

ed breya eb at telight.com
Fri Mar 4 05:54:44 UTC 2022

I did a few more experiments on changing the initial date, hoping to get
it to accept more recent values, and still give correct date reports. It
seems like there's an absolute limit somewhere in 2007. 01 Jan 2007
seems to work, and during startup, it momentarily forces 28 Dec 2006,
but still gets the right current-date answer as soon as the first
satellite data arrives.

I still don't get the numeric connections, so have to assume there's
another hard-wired constant built in there somewhere, limiting the
setting range, and the total GPS week count rollover. So, it looks like
it will be good to go for a while (I think until 2026), but at some
point it will be out of sync again with the actual GPS weeks, and fail
on the date reporting, if a newer initial date can't be accepted. Again,
this is not a big deal - I just want the 10 MHz and 1PPS to work properly.

For now, I have it all working pretty well, and the spare GPS RX seems
OK, so unless the Z3801A itself craps out, it should all be good for
quite some time. I've gotten off on all sorts of tangents, but can now
focus on wrapping up the internal battery backup system again.

Ed