[time-nuts] Re: Phase coherence with 2x GPSDO

Lux, Jim jim at luxfamily.com
Sun Mar 6 19:23:26 UTC 2022

On 3/6/22 10:48 AM, Bob kb8tq wrote:
> Hi
>
> How close are you trying to get?
>
> How far apart are the GPSDO’s?
>
> A “run of the mill” number would be out around 100 ns. A “pretty good”
> number is in the 20 ns range. A “crazy good” number would be 2 ns. To
> do better than this, you likely would need to go to a more exotic configuration
> on the GPSDO.

it also depends on whether you can "post process"  as in a receiving
array application.  For instance, you can let the GPSDO do what it
wants, but you record the GPS observables against your oscillator for
each one.  Then, you post process to determine what the GPSDO actually did.

We are doing that for the SunRISE interferometer mission - 6 independent
SDRs digitizing the signals, with a GNSS receiver running off the same
clock.  A sort of rudimentary disciplining ensures that all the
receivers take samples at about the same time, but the fine adjustment
is done later.  In our case, we are processing the GNSS and clock data
through GIPSYx, which gives you a time offset and rate at periodic time
ticks.

So, though we capture data and run everything with (six different) 50
MHz clocks (20ns resolution), in post processing, we can get down below
1 ns in ultimate uncertainty. And the data acquisition only needs to be
within a microsecond (we capture 655.36 microseconds of data, and being
"off" by a microsecond is only reducing the section with an overlap by
1/655th)

The trick with SDRs, in general, is *really understanding* the clock
distribution and processing.  If there's PLLs in the pathway, then you
need to worry about whether there are uncertainties due to initial
state, even if the frequency of the oscillator is known perfectly.  For
example, say you had 2 receivers with a 10MHz oscillator each, and you
capture data at 100 kHz,  There's 100 possible offsets between the
samples, depending on the state of the 100:1 divider for the ADC clock.

When you have FPGAs with DPLLs in them to cross clock boundaries, you
need to be really careful that you understand what's going on there.

In your case, you seem to have continuous recording, so maybe what
you're seeing is the small scale independent frequency variations of the
two oscillators.  A GPSDO affects the frequency at say, 10-1000 seconds
and longer. There will be short term variations on time scales less than
100 seconds that the GPSDO will likely do nothing about.

If it's possible, what helps is having a free running counter running
off your oscillator, and you "snapshot" that on each GPS 1pps. That way,
you are getting a more direct measurement of the oscillator frequency,
which you can then model/smooth and back out.