[time-nuts] Re: Measuring oscillators against GPS - Trimble NetRS

Tom Wallace thomas.h.wallace at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 23:53:56 UTC 2022

I've been using the NetRS for timing for a couple of years now. They are
inexpensive and work well when properly configured, but they do have
their quirks. Some notes I've found useful:

1. The NetRS needs a dongle to provide primary power and the Ethernet
interface. Approximately 100% of the ex-USCG receivers on the well-known
auction site come without the dongle, so plan to locate one elsewhere or
build one (pinouts are in the manual).

2. UNAVCO's resource page on the NetRS
(https://kb.unavco.org/kb/article/trimble-netrs-resource-page-471.html)
is a trove of useful information (manuals, FAQ, etc.) If that page
didn't exist, it would be a major undertaking to get a NetRS working well.

3. The latest firmware (1.3.2) is available from UNAVCO
(https://kb.unavco.org/kb/article.php?id=770). It adds the ability to
receive the L2C signal in addition to the L2P(Y), and corrects some
security vulnerabilities. It can be applied no matter what the unit's
warranty status (all the surplus ones are out of warranty).

4. For timing use, clock steering on the NetRS must be turned off.
Otherwise, the clock values are smeared by the steering and don't
reflect the state of the 10 MHz input.

5. Converting the binary output of the NetRS to RINEX is a multistep
process: use runpkr
(https://kb.unavco.org/kb/article/trimble-runpkr00-latest-versions-744.html)
to convert to .tgd format, then teqc
(https://www.unavco.org/software/data-processing/teqc/teqc.html) to
convert to RINEX.

6. Computing clock stability from PPP data can be done over the net
using NRCan (https://webapp.geod.nrcan.gc.ca/geod/tools-outils/ppp.php)
or locally using gLAB (https://gage.upc.edu/gLAB/). Comparison of these
results gives good agreement (~1 ns) in the magnitude of the clock
variations.

7. The absolute offset of a clock from the reference source is not
easily determined using the NetRS; there is no consistency in the clock
offsets computed by 2 NetRS systems using the same antenna and fed by
the same 10 MHz reference. Interestingly, the differences are not even
the same modulo 100 ns (the period of the 10 MHz signal).

8. The NetRS handled the last WNRO with no problem. However, I have been
unable to find information on whether the system uses a pivot point to
handle WNRO. If it does, and the pivot is the date of the last software
release (October 2012), then the systems are good for another decade.
However, I have no information on this, and would be interested to hear
from anyone who does.

9. The sawtooth in the NetRS PPS output is very large (+/- 30 ns), and
the output voltage is over 5V (it may have been designed to deliver 5V
into 50 Ohms). If you want to discipline the oscillator you're
measuring, I'd suggest checking the input level it can tolerate, or
using a modern receiver like the uBlox F9 (which has around 1/8 the
sawtooth variation).