[time-nuts] Re: Measuring oscillators against GPS

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Sun Mar 13 17:03:15 UTC 2022

Hi

New flash card on the NetRS:

1) Pop off the front cover, flip the latch on the flash holder and pull the
old card. Carefully put it somewhere safe :)

2) If you can find a 512 Mb flash card, good for you. At least around
here 1 GB is an easier thing to dig up. Download the image that will
fit in the card you have found.

3) Fire up your Linux box and use the normal tools ( dd?) to copy the
image file to the card. It’s no different than copying a fresh image to
any “empty” hard drive. Other tools on other operating systems may
(or may not) do a fine job. You want something that just does a copy.

4) Put the card back in the NetRS and watch the serial port. You will see
a long spew of some very alarming looking messages. It will do this / reboot /
do that / reboot again ….

5) Eventually (if the card is one the device is happy with) it will settle down.
It will boot one last time and you will see the normal flow of messages.

6) The device now needs the normal setup stuff that you would do on
any NetRS.

Indeed, you can pull the 512MB card out of the typical NetRS and put
a 1GB card in. Assuming the card is big enough, you will have the 1GB
model as a result. ( big enough = is at least as big as the original Trimble
card, there are a surprising number of “close to 1GB” versions out there).

I seem to recall that you can indeed “go big” and put in a 2GB card. The
result is still a 1GB device. It’s been long enough that I’m not 100% sure
I went that way on one of the devices.

Fun !!

Bob