[time-nuts] Re: GPSDO Control loop autotuning

Erik Kaashoek erik at kaashoek.com
Mon Mar 21 07:42:01 UTC 2022

Hi Tobias,

I'm very new to all this GPSDO stuff and going through similar learning
but maybe I have some remarks/questions that could be relevant for you.
- Developing control algorithms is an extremely long process unless done
on a simulator. Tom Van Baak has an excellent simulator and several
realistic data sets for testing. http://www.leapsecond.com/pages/gpsdo-sim/
- Use Timelab to look at the ADEV, the frequency error and the phase
error to evaluate the performance.
- Why do you prefilter? In my experience this only adds a time delay in
the input data for the loop and makes it harder to do a good job. Test
if the prefilter works by taking one of the GPS data sets from Tom and
run it through the prefilter and test using the simulator if the results
improve.
- In my GPSDO temperature changes and supply voltage variations where
the largest source of variations. You can simulate this with the
simulator by creating LO data sets with artificial changes in frequency.
Add a drift and test if the loop can keep up, add a jump and see how
fast it recovers
Erik, PD0EK