[time-nuts] Re: Tuning a GPSDO loop for optimal disturbance handling

Erik Kaashoek erik at kaashoek.com
Tue Mar 22 16:14:36 UTC 2022

Hi Bob,
By your advice I went for a 6.5 digit DVM and after logging and plotting
the DAC output its clear there are some stability issues in the DAC
output. The voltage is wandering around at about the level of frequency
wandering observed.
A different supply topology for the DAC and VCXO will have to be
created.. The DAC resolution is 50 uV (2.048 V / 400000 steps) but the
random variations are about 4 times p-p larger.
Once this is done I hope longer term logging of frequency and voltage
will make sense.
Or is it better to have a low pass filter between the DAC and the VCXO
Vtune input so the loop is fast enough to remove the remaining drift?
If so, what should the time constant of the filter be compared to the
intersect of the ADEV of the GPS and the VCXO (100 s)?
Having a big time constant (10s?) will be a pain in the initial tuning
and will require active components.
Does owning a 6.5 digit DVM qualify one as a volt-nut? Or should first
some voltage references be added?
Erik.