[time-nuts] Re: Simple simulation model for an OCXO?

Lux, Jim jim at luxfamily.com
Tue May 3 15:06:22 UTC 2022

On 5/3/22 1:57 AM, Matthias Welwarsky wrote:
> Magnus, Jim - thanks a lot. Your post encouraged me to look especially into
> flicker noise an how to generate it in the time domain. I now use randn() and
> a low-pass filter. Also, I think I understood now how to create phase vs
> frequency noise.

There's some papers out there (mentioned on the list in the past) about
synthesizing colored noise. Taking "White" noise and running it through
a filter is one approach. Another is doing an inverse FFT, but that has
the issue of needing to know how many samples you need. Although I
suppose one could do some sort of continuous overlapping window scheme
(which, when it comes right down to it is just another way of filtering)).

https://dl.acm.org/doi/abs/10.1145/368273.368574

or

C. A. Greenhall. Models for Flicker Noise in DSN Oscillators. The Deep
Space Network Progress Report, Volume XIII, pp. 183-193, February 15, 1973.
https://ipnpr.jpl.nasa.gov/progress_report/XIII/XIIIY.PDF

W. J. Hurd. Efficient Generation of Statistically Good Pseudonoise by
Linearly Interconnected Shift Registers. The Deep Space Network Progress
Report, Volume XI, pp. 1-1, October 15, 1972.
https://ipnpr.jpl.nasa.gov/progress_report/XI/XIQ.PDF

A Wideband Digital Pseudo-Gaussian Noise Generator
W. J. Hurd
https://ipnpr.jpl.nasa.gov/progress_report/III/IIIP.PDF