[time-nuts] Re: 32.768Khz Crystal Trimming

Dan Kemppainen dan at irtelemetrics.com
Thu May 5 02:03:14 UTC 2022

Rick,

Very delayed response...

So, your thought/comment about tempco stuck in the back of my head. This
little board has progressed to the point where it can measure it's own
RTCC oscillator against and external 10Mhz ref.

Out of curiosity a very simple oven was slapped together (Leftover
packaging Styrofoam, a power resistor, aluminum block, masking tape,
etc.) and the board was cycled up and down in temperature a few times.
Temp was measured with an onboard temp sensor.

Anyway, assuming the sign convention is correct, here's a quick plot of
ppm error vs. temperature. It swings about two ppm over the temperature
range, with a turnover just under 30C. A second order polynomial fit
appears to do the job nicely (red line).

Nothing stellar of note in this data, and it's probably old hat to many
here, but still a fun little side experiment.

Dan