[time-nuts] Re: Noise down-converter project

ed breya eb at telight.com
Wed May 18 21:18:04 UTC 2022

Thanks all, for filter info. For reasons that will become evident when I
describe the LF/DC situation, I plan to use an all-passive LC LPF. I
assume I'll be needing a fairly high-order (like 9 or so) Butterworth
type response for good flatness, and enough stop-band rejection for the
higher frequency junk.

The filter that I'm using for now is an old (1970s - 80s?) K&L brand,
marked 4L52-20-0/0-100. I've never found specific info on it over all
the years, but I did just find some data on current products that look
similar:

https://klmicrowave.nyc3.digitaloceanspaces.com/products/attachments/_plk147_1_LLSeries.pdf

The descriptions look familiar enough to get some idea of what it should
do, except the passband ripple is nowhere near these specs (0.05 dB).
The modern part numbering scheme is different, but the "4" and the "20"
seem to jive, for 4-sections, and 20 MHz fc. It looks like K&L describes
the number of sections as the number of choke elements, and that's
what's in this filter. It has 4 chokes and 5 capacitors, so 9th order,
as I understand.

I picked this up in some junk long ago, and it was in bad shape -
someone had opened it up, and the cover was left hanging by a thread -
literally - a single 0-80 screw managed to keep the lid associated with
the rest. I thought the other corners were drilled out, so I just taped
it shut, and since it seemed to work, I started using it for experiments
over the years.

A couple weeks back, I began looking at it closely. I was going to
replace the original SMAs with SMBs for this project, so figured I'd
pull the guts out so I could try to ID the part values. The caps were
easy, just regular mica types with markings. The chokes are small
ferrite toroids, apparently identical cores. I counted the turns, and
found 20 on the outer pair, and 22 on the inner. I didn't want to risk
damage by removing any parts (the chokes are silicone-gooped to the
shielding), but I did manage to get ballpark in-circuit values using the
HP4276A LCZ meter at 20 kHz, so the error from the caps isn't too bad.

I also had a bit of good luck in finding that a screw was loose - one
that anchors the assembly to the floor of the machined Al box, and is
critical for grounding the circuit board. I had assumed this was not all
that great of a filter, barely keeping the stop-band 40 dB down, or that
maybe it would get better if the lid was properly attached. I also found
that there was enough intact thread left in the corner holes, that
digging up some 0-80 screws of just the right lengths fixed the lid
mounting.

So, I got my values, got my SMBs, and the filter is rebuilt almost like
new. It still leaks some at the higher frequencies, but it's now better
than 70 dB down, which is on par with the modern spec, which only shows
to that level. It is a fairly sharp cutoff filter, dropping about 80 dB
at 50 MHz

Here's the parts info:

Caps (pF labeled, unknown tolerance) 68, 150, 150, 150, 68
Chokes (uH +/- 20% possible measurement error) 2.25, 2.43, 2.5, 2.28
Choke ratio inner/outer 1.21 according to turns count

So, anyway, I know it's symmetric, supposedly 50 ohms, and 20 MHz fc.
Since then, I've been looking at filter design tools, trying to match
what's in there to any kind of "standard" filter response, and tweaking
fc and impedance too. So far, I've found nothing that's close.

The actual amplitude response looks very much like the Chebyshev example
that Gerhard posted, and the datasheet says that's what this product
line is, so it's probably in there somewhere. It's just that the part
values don't make sense.

Ed