[time-nuts] Re: Does filtering a TCXO Vtune to reduce low tau ADEV with max 50% make sense?

Erik Kaashoek erik at kaashoek.com
Sat May 21 15:42:09 UTC 2022

Hi All,

What I did:
0: Stopped all SPI traffic and display updating to avoid supply load
changes.
1: Used a demodulating spectrum analyzer to listen to the FM at the
200th overtone (2 GHz), only white noise (e.g. dominant high frequencies)
2: Use a modulation analyzer to analyzed the FM modulation of the 100th
overtone (1 Ghz), no visible structure in the demodulated signal and the
frequency deviation was below 1Hz (is consistent with the measured ADEV)
3: Used a 200 MHz LO into a mixer, mixed with the 20th overtone
(200MHz), output of the mixer into a very good audio input (1 Hz to 192
kHz, 24 bit), tuned the LO to zero beat and did an FFT of mixer output
displaying from 1 Hz to 96 kHz (due to the 20th overtone in reality
starting at 0.005 Hz), no visible structure in the FFT.
4: Also looked at the output of the mixer with a scope to double check
for content outside the audio range. The audio looked like noise but not
really white noise.

When the DAC is set to zero the "white" noise level is a bit lower
compared to a normal DAC value but due to the 0.1Hz low pass filter
between the  DAC and the TCXO Vtune the "white" noise can not come from
the DAC so probably generated inside the TCXO.

As soon as the display update was enabled, clearly visible frequency
swings at the exact rhythm of the display updates where observed. These
small swings could be heard as ticking noise in the FM demodulation and
where visible in audio FFT and on the scope observing the audio.
Stopping or starting the display updates did not have a measurable
impact on the ADEV.

The TCXO tuning range is about 50 Hz over 2 Volt, the lowest observable
DAC step leading to a frequency change is about 1E-10 or 0.001 Hz
The DAC output was measured using a 6.5 digit voltmeter and there was no
observable instability. The DAC output did contain high frequency (above
100 kHz) leakage observable with a scope, probably coming from the TCXO
through the shared supply or from the ground lead of the probe acting as
an antenna for the 10MHz. Due to the ground lead it was not possible to
reliable measure the absence of the 10MHz after the 0.1 Hz low pass filter.
The TCXO supply sensitivity is 0.5ppm for +/-5% changed. The DAC and
TCXO used a dedicated 3.3 V regulator and the DAC has an internal band
gap reference for further stabilization. The input and output of the 3.3
V regulator where decoupled with 1000 uF low ESR capacitors. No change
was observed with or without the capacitors.
The 0.1 Hz low pass filter between the DAC and the TCXO reduced the
noise level just visible when the DAC was set not non zero.

I may have reached the limit of the used components. Which is OK as the
performance and cost are both within the intended spec.

Erik.