[time-nuts] Re: Ublox M6T -M8T

Matthias Welwarsky time-nuts at welwarsky.de
Sat May 28 19:53:38 UTC 2022

Hi Rich,

I'm using a LEA-M8T in a GPSDO project. I've gathered a bit of experience with
the M8 timing receivers over the past two or three years.

Both timepulse outputs can be programmed to any frequency and duty cycle you
like, 10kHz is certainly not a problem. However, some things to consider:

Only frequencies that are even multiples of the internal crystal frequency
(48MHz) are "clean". Everything else is, as Bob puts it, "drop a pulse, add a
pulse" approximations. However, that's normally easy to filter.

The receiver adjusts the phase of the time signal once every measurement
interval. That means, you'll typically get a phase jump every one second. You
can adjust the measurement frequency, 5Hz is certainly possible, maybe more,
but consult the data sheet on that.

On top, there is the quantization error. The phase of the time signal will be
off by some 20 nanoseconds against the "true" GNSS time. The error will be
different for each measurement interval.

If you want to use the time signal as a PLL reference frequency, your loop
filter will have to be quite narrow to compensate for all these effects.

BR,
Matthias