[time-nuts] Re: Realtime comparing PPS of 3 GPS

glen english LIST glenlist at cortexrf.com.au
Mon May 30 23:10:19 UTC 2022

Be aware not to confuse the antenna ground plane  (the patch will always
have its own plane because the top metalization must be fed against a
plane or counterpoise -  and a ground plane behind the antenna.

I can see the usefulness of the larger ground plane for any purchased
patch antenna to reduce the likelihood of interference underneath (if
the feed coax has a good RF contact with the plane), and if the plane is
coupled well, it may improve the low angle response .

The supplementary ground plane doesnt have to have a galvanic connection
if the gap between the underside of the patch is low- IE use purely a
capacitive coupling to tie the patch antenna ground to the large ground
sheet-

If we consider the patch area to be 10x10mm  = 100uM^2, and the gap
being air (for simplicity sake) of 0.25mm, the capacitance is
Epsilon-nought times area, all divided by the distance between the two
plates

For the above example this is about 3.5pF or (-)j30. Really needs to be
< j5 .

That means reducing the gap to about 0.05mm  OR increasing the area-
probably means using a bigger patch.

You might be able to sweat solder the patch antenna (bottom)  to a sheet
of FR4- that would be my approach.

-glen