[time-nuts] Re: 20221104: Help Requested Debugging SR620 Time Interval Counter Problem

Andrew Kalman aekalman at gmail.com
Sat Nov 5 01:14:56 UTC 2022

Magnus: Thank you, I will go down that path. Your explanation makes sense,
and I figured it was probably something with the start and stop times, but
didn't see the math behind it.

FWIW, on this unit:

   1. It had a shorted dipped tantalum cap (C917), that was forcing the
   -15V regulator (U910, an LM337) into and out of thermal overload (measured
   around +135C).
   2. I replaced all the tantalum caps (around 25 of them), and U910 for
   good measure, and that problem appears to have gone away.
   3. There is a 3x220 Ohm resistor network (N404, N405, N406) that spans
   30V on the front-end (one on each of three channels) that gets really hot
   (>100C). I'm not sure why SRS did that, but I suspect this is normal
   operation.
   4. The rest of all the ECL chps seem to run at around 50-60C. I'm
   revisiting ECL, it's not a logic family I ever worked with extensively.

I designed the SRS SR560 (everything but the front-end, that was founder
John Willison's design) as my first task at SRS. My buddies Scott and Adam
did the PCB and enclosure of the SR620 (and many other models),
respectively, and then we all went off together in 1988 to start a pro
audio company. So, I have a certain place in my heart for the SRS
instruments of that era.

I will report back (sporadically?) as I work my way through this.

--Andrew

Andrew E. Kalman, Ph.D.