[time-nuts] Re: 5061A HV Supply, et al. {External}

Chris Hastreiter chastreiter at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 02:30:36 UTC 2022

Jim,

The 3500V supply is designed to be a soft supply that folds under load. A
1MOhm load is enough to make it collapse down to 750V. The meter display
estimates current by measuring how much the voltage sags.

If you want to measure open circuit voltage you'll need to get closer to a
1GOhm measurement impedance. If you want to crosscheck the current through
the ion pump you can unmount the tube and connect an ammeter between it and
the chassis (the return path for the ion pump) and measure the current
directly.

Thanks,

Chris