[time-nuts] Re: leap seconds finally being retired?

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.se
Wed Nov 23 22:50:35 UTC 2022

Hi Chris,

On 2022-11-22 19:21, Chris Caudle via time-nuts wrote:
> Did I miss some messages?  I did not see any discussion of the vote to
> retire leap seconds which took place last Friday.  I just saw this in my
> news headlines today:
> https://gizmodo.com/leap-second-time-1849807606
>
> "A global group of scientists and government officials voted (almost
> unanimously) Friday to axe the small time adjustment method, in a change
> scheduled to take place by 2035."
>
> Official resolution (resolution 4):
> https://www.bipm.org/documents/20126/64811223/Resolutions-2022.pdf/281f3160-fc56-3e63-dbf7-77b76500990f
>
> Also resolution 5 sets out a timeline for redefining the second with
> something other than cesium (would like to have the choice for the
> preferred atom species decided in 2026, and vote on the new standard
> definition in 2030).
Do notice that it acknowledge that this could either be a single spieces
or an ensemble definition.

> I thought Magnus wrote previously that he was going to be at that meeting
> last week, but perhaps I misunderstood and he was only providing input,
> not physically attending.

No, at the best I could be there as a visitor, and that would be great
fun for sure. In those meetings I will have no official say in anything.

I have however provided input to the work of CCTF in proposing a palette
of different proposals, including an ensamble definition for a future SI
second. The ensemble definition has an interesting elegance to it, but
breaks the comfort zone.

When the can of worm was opppend in 2015 of a redefinition of the SI
second in terms of an optical transition, it was already clear that the
clocks where heading towards 100 times better than the cesium fountains.
The line of the stability improved very quickly at that time, and even
if the slope changed there is still improvements occurring.

What was also already known was that a handful of optical transitions
was occurring, such as Aluminium, Strontium etc. At the same time, what
was apparent was that multiple physical package approaches was being
used. Both neutral atoms and ions was used. Laser cooling with various
methods was applied. Single atom, lattice, etc. State-squeezing also
applied. We see super-Ramsey interrigation being used to compensate
first degree doppler. There is a richness of methods and tricks that is
applied to further improve the performance. They all end up in a similar
range of performance.

Now, this is in contrast with the times when Cesium was selected.
According to the criterions at the time, Thallium 205 was actually
considered, but in the only physical realisation of atomic beam device,
Thallium 205 had one performance edge over all other, in the magnetic
shift sensitivity is 20 times better than the next competitor of Cesium
133. However, Thallium had two techical drawbacks at the time making
physical implementation difficult, the transition frequency of
21.3108339461 GHz was at the time considerably harder to achieve than
the Cesium 9.192631770 GHz. Secondly the ionization was harder to do in
the masspectrometer needed for detection, resulting in weaker signal,
worsening the signal to noise ratio and predicted lower stability
properties.

Notice how the performance of a single type of physical package shaped
the field. Today we have removed ionization as measure for state-flip in
the Ramsey interigation, we can do that using lasers. Optical readout
was done at NIST-7, and the continuation of that is in the form of
todays fountain clock realizations that also address some of the other
issues of the original beam clocks. Observation time has been
considerably improved in the folded beam of the fountains. Some effects
is first-degree compensated for but subtle micro-lensing effects occurs
and is compensated for. Also, the sensitivity to magnetic field has been
removed as effect. Through observation of the splitting of fields, the
magnetic field can be measured and even stabilized or compensated, to
create a stable and well known shift. This have even made it into the
commercial clocks such as FTS-4040, FTS-4065, HP5071A and others.

For some time, it was even thought that Rubidium was better suited for
fountain operation than Cesium, but learning to control the issues the
shift can be estimated and compensated for and they are more or less on
par after that.

So, what we can see is that the realization form now varies greatly and
that then in combination with the spieces (atom and its particular
isotope) it becomes a race to combine all the tricks and perfecting it.
The exact frequency in the optical range varies a little, and higher
should be better, but other factors also combine to a rather complex
mixture. It's not a very clear race of speices, it's a much more
multi-dimensional field.

So, history teaches us that our selection criterions may be completely
wrong down the line, and that development can take interesting turns
that we do not fully can forsee.

Further, there is additional concerns here. One such concern is one of
both political and practical aspect. If we come up with a definition of
a single spieces that for it's realization turns out to be hard to
realize or duplicate, with the needed repeatability (our ability to
build multiple giving the same measure), we can end up in a new kg
reference unit situation, in which only one lab (or possibly very few)
have access to the actual reference. This creats both practical issues,
you can say it is a problem of democratic access even, and there can
become political conotations to that which we really want to avoid.

Another aspect is that you can end up locking yourself to a definition
that actually turns out to be a particular bad choice, that you can have
trouble to develop further, and then you end up having to redefine later.

In metrology, there is a concept of primary reference and secondary
reference which is often misunderstood or even missused. The primary
reference is a definition you can realize with a repeatability that is
well understood and require no corrections. Secondary references may
perform well, but need calibration towards the primary to correct for
it. Rubidum have had a secondary reference relationship to cesium,
despite that for compareable realizations they perform similar enough,
not withstanding the normal incorrecty distinction of cesium vs.
rubidium when they really differen in beam device vs. gas cell device.
So, we now have multiple ways of realizing an optical transition
standard for multiple spieces, which all is potential primary references.

One way of approaching this is to take a pick of a spieces and define
that, but then keep maintaing the comparison measurments that is done
between spieces and define and refine relationships to these other
spieces and let them be very well known secondary standards. That could
work well. However, we now have the technological bet here. If we now
choose the wrong spieces, it could turn out that we have trouble to
develop it's performance at the same speed as the other. Then it wasn't
as good candiate for primary standard as we thought, and we bet on the
wrong horse.

However, look at the EAL/TAI/UTC realization of SI second and
coordinated time-scales. We've learend to ensamble dissimilar spieces
and clock types to provide a really good realisation and overall
performance. We already do a range of relative clock comparisions
between the optical clocks that currently beat any measurement back
towards cesium with two digits since 1E-16 and 1E-18 has that factor of
100 in it. Actually, the limitation in realization of cesium transition
prohibit us of knowing two digits for any of our potential definitions,
we have essentially random numbers there. As we do the redefinition we
will end up guessing those and it is likely that we will not be able to
ever measure and estabilsh the actual offset we create. So, now comes
the mental leap of consider the actual definition to be an ensemble of a
number of species, in which the relative comparison measurments is
continued and the definition then keeps changing with known
relationships. As our technology develop, we can harvest the benefit of
that and the ensemble update will slowly shift in smaller and smaller
fractions at the edge of our continued development of technology. If a
spieces turns out to be a limit, its contribution will become lower, if
another spieces turns out particularly useful it's contribution will
become stronger, all as consequence of the ensemble balance.

It should also be stated that the constant of nature approach that has
been used succsessfully in the redefinition of the other SI base units
does not work for frequency, because we currently lack the sufficient
clarity in theoretical models that come even close to match the
precision we can realize in our labs. Therefore that option was dropped.

So, when Fritz Riele of PTB presented the concept of redefinitions and
asked openly for any input on how to approach this, then I presented
this view in November 2015. He was friendly enough to also point out
that his article do provide a reference to my email to him.

Having an ensamble definition is however not in most physics people
comfort zone. 7 years later, it has however not been written of, because
it does have interesting merits going forward.

While my own contribution is naturally something I enjoy pointing out, I
think it is really a very interesting field and that we do need many
solutions that we can rule out in order to learn deeper what the many
aspects of concerns is. As I have been tracking the issue since, much of
the analysis still holds. I do not see any of the spieces having a
significant benefit in performance or realizations to others. As
development continues, the research groups learn of each other and keep
reiterate their realizations to squeeze more performance, easier to
maintain, better availability (PTB reported an optical clock that was
over a two-week time had 99.5% availability of observing the optical
transition, and they did not see any major obsticle maintaining that for
periods of years).

So, while this post turns out in the long form, I think it is a very
interesting little corner of problems, and it covers more than just pure
physics or skill of making physical devices, is a whole range of issues
that needs to be considered as we move forward. We need to learn from
history and look forward.

BTW, this year it is 50 years since the speed of light was last measured
at NIST. At the time, it was a major achievement. I have suggested that
the topic should be revisited, so we could with our advancement in
technology measure it again, and to see how much we got it wrong back
then. I reminded NIST and it was brought up with relevant BIPM and UFFC
parties, but I have not seen any outcome. With some difficultie we could
setup a Krypton-86 source and measure it with todays technology, and
with difficultie means also relating it to the conditions as stated at
the time.

So, no, I was not down there to vote. I have nothing to officially say.
Hopefully I did provide some inspiration, but I doubt anyone will trace
it back to me and give me a beer for it. It was a fun mental exercise
thought, and I want to share that aspect with you.

Cheers,
Magnus