[time-nuts] Re: Neon clock from factory at Motorola years ago

ed breya eb at telight.com
Thu Nov 24 03:40:59 UTC 2022

I believe that connector is one of many series of the Molex brand,
around nearly forever. I wouldn't let that be a problem - cut and splice
works just fine.

For juicing it up, first take some measurements (and assuming the unit
is plugged in somewhere to line for overall power) to see if any kind of
electrical signal is present at the connector pins - maybe as simple as
a contact closure to activate. If it looks like there's no power and
passive, then check for resistance and semiconductor junctions, to see
if there's a relay coil or device input.

Those connectors are rated for line voltage, so it could be set up for
that level of input, but I doubt it.

My guess is that it's for Class 2 low voltage control, by contact
closure or pulse input. You should be able to get it going OK after some
study.

If this is a master timing signal for multiple clocks, then of course it
would need provision for fast advancing and such, and somehow
synchronizing them all. One way would be a master reset signal to all
12:00, then fast forward the right number of counts. I think I recall
the old school and factory/office clocks did something like this.

Maybe one polarity of pulses to advance, and reverse polarity to reset,
for instance.

Ed