[time-nuts] Re: The SI second and the ease of realization (was: leap seconds finally being retired?)

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Sat Nov 26 02:54:43 UTC 2022

On 11/25/2022 1:55 PM, Magnus Danielson via time-nuts wrote:

> error hunts in and a remaining phase-shift often being the end result,
> looking like a phase-step. A higher degree compensation may track in the
> phase-step. Do look at Gardner book.

Gardner was the book that taught me how to do phase locked loops.

The 5061 had an analog dual integrator using a then $100 op amp,
specifically to address the problem you are describing.  Len
Cutler went to a lot of trouble to get this right.  The 5071
of course also has a dual integrator, but it's just DSP code.
Len was also responsible for the dual integrator in the E1938A
oven control loop, which was amazing.

Rick N6RK