[time-nuts] Re: What everyday uses are there for accurate clocks?

Demetrios Matsakis dnmyiasou at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 29 14:06:11 UTC 2022

At least when I did VLBI for geodesy, we used GPS to do the initial rough synchronization so we could get fringes.  After that the offset between the local masers is part of the solution.  You needed masers, though that could be considered syntonization rather has synchronization.  And since Earth rotation is defined in terms of atomic time, you obviously need a tie to UTC.