[time-nuts] Re: What everyday uses are there for accurate clocks?

Tue Nov 29 16:15:15 UTC 2022

> On Nov 28, 2022, at 9:45 PM, Dr. David Kirkby via time-nuts <time-nuts at lists.febo.com> wrote:
> I mentioned to someone the other day that I owned an HP GPS time and
> frequency standard. He asked me a simple question, but one I didn’t know
> the answer to.
>

> Apart from GPS, what in the daily lives of the general public need the sort
> of accuracy one can get from time-nut grade clocks? I believe some
> financial transactions is one application, and the cellular phone system
> another. Are there others?

I used IEEE1588 (PTP) to achieve tight time sync between devices on the same network for the Perceptron AccuGauge ACF system: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkaWx_w0-M8

In a nutshell, the “cage" on the robot arm has LEDs at each vertex, and the bar has three linear cameras watching the scene. The LEDs are flashed sequentially and image captures are taken at the same time, and then after an enormous amount of math and other secret sauce I don’t pretend to understand, you get 9DOF measurements out the other side. Tight (I was aiming for 60ns, I think it was relaxed to 1 or 2us before the product was released) timing was needed to make sure the cameras were “looking” when the light was on, and when you’re trying to hit 5000 measurements/sec it’s important that you don’t spend too much time on any single LED.

In fact this project was why I joined time-nuts.

-A.