[time-nuts] Re: Long term stable environmental sensors (Attila Kinali)

Thomas Allgeier th.allgeier at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 21:33:58 UTC 2022

> Moin Attila,

Here is what my homebrew weather station actually uses:
A HTU21D from TE Connectivity for temperature and humidity. These can be
bought already fitted to a breakout board (I2C), interfacing with the RPi
or whatever else.
A BMP388 from Bosch for atmospheric pressure, again on a breakout board
which has both I2C and SPI.
All of this has been running fine since the end of 2018. As I write the BMP
reads 1021.9 mbar, with the airport down the road reporting 1022. I
remember checking this frequently in the first few weeks of operation, with
never more than 1 mbar deviation. I haven't looked at it in years and am
surprised it is so close still.
The HTU21D says 5.58C and 87.7% rh, the airport 6C / 84%.

As I said the Bosch probably needs to be replaced with a BMP390 nowadays.

The greatest unreliability comes from the RPi which crashes once in a while
because I am such a lousy programmer.
There is even a time-nuts feature as the RPi also talks to a GPS module as
well as a RTC - I think it is that very combination which makes it unhappy.

Sorry about the confusion with the Bosch numbers in my initial reply.

BR,
Thomas.