[time-nuts] 20221128: A question re fans and low-noise measurements / techniques

ed breya eb at telight.com
Tue Nov 29 23:11:24 UTC 2022

Fans provide at least three kinds of noise. The audible is most annoying
to humans, but we can adapt. The electric and magnetic noise may
interfere with the instrument - we definitely don't want that.

If you're fixing or modifying a fan problem in a high performance,
precision instrument, it's probably best to not stray too far from using
the same parts and circuit design as the original. The reason is that
you don't know - without some study and consideration - how much the fan
interacts with or affects the rest. What you do know is that the
original setup did its job, and the instrument (likely) met its specs.

You may be able to not only fix the problem, but also improve the
overall performance with different fans and driving methods, but it
takes some study to make sure.

A good thing to consider first is the location and proximity to possibly
sensitive circuitry. If the fan is say, bolted to the back, and faces
only power supply circuitry, and is nowhere near anything critical, then
it's probably safe to not worry much about the magnetic fields coming
from the motor. This allows for more options in fan choice, like AC
versus DC.

Next is thermal - how well does it actually cool the innards? You have
some leeway here too, since stock fans are usually chosen to work at the
highest specified ambient temperature, and in rack mount situations. If
your environment is more friendly, you can go with less fan air flow,
which almost always allows for more peace and quiet. This can take a lot
of experimenting to figure out how low you can go, and still be safe,
cooling-wise.

Finally, you have to consider the electric power situation. Regardless
of fan type, there will be motor ripple currents from the AC line or
from the DC supply. These can affect the source, and also radiate EM
fields from the wiring, so the paths may be important too - avoid the
sensitive areas, or shield the lines properly. For AC induction motors,
it is what it is, while for DC, lots of filtering close to the motor
helps. You might be surprised at how much commutation current even a
small brushless DC fan can produce. You can do some experiments to study
it and assess the ugliness.

It may take a lot of capacitance to get acceptable ripple, especially if
the fan supply is not isolated well from the supplies that run the
critical circuitry. In extreme cases, a shunt regulator right at the fan
(electrically close as possible) can make it invisible to the PS,
leaving only the wiring between the shunt and the motor to radiate.

There's no reason nowadays to use a brushed DC or universal motor for a
small equipment fan - leave those for hair dryers. I think virtually all
modern small DC fans are brushless PM, and can run over quite a speed
range. These are best for most equipment. For reduced speed, lower
noise, try fixed lower voltages, and be sure that the motor will
properly kick-start from off or stall (these are two different
situations, even though the speed is zero) under all conditions.

For variable speed, analog is of course cleanest, but the power
dissipation may become an issue, depending on fan size. PWM is more
efficient, but adds another layer of EMC consideration. I always try to
avoid adding SMPS/PWM circuits in low noise gear, but in many cases, the
stuff is already powered by such, so adding a little more isn't
necessarily bad. The trick is to figure out what problems may arise, and
how to handle it.

One more thing about AC fans. Most of my old gear has the classic
pancake AC fans, loud as hell. In some, I have changed to lighter gauge
fans (the usual solution), or modified the circuits to run them slower.
It all depends on the particular fan models. I test fans on the curve
tracer or variac to see how they do at low or variable speeds. Some
models are awesome, able to reliably start and run over a huge
voltage/speed range, while others are awful, unable to start properly at
all, then go flakey and wind up to jet engine noise level once the
voltage is high enough. The fans that do reasonably well or great are
marked and reserved for low speed transplants back into equipment

Ed