[time-nuts] Re: What everyday uses are there for accurate clocks?

Dr. David Kirkby drkirkby at kirkbymicrowave.co.uk
Tue Nov 29 23:15:16 UTC 2022

On Tue, 29 Nov 2022 at 13:15, Hugh Blemings <hugh at blemings.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm sure others can speak in more depth than I, but birtually all major
> cloud providers and/or services that make use of large datacentres
> (think Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin etc. if you want publicly aware
> examples) - will run their own NTP servers or other similar time
> standards to ensure their geographically dispersed systems have a shared
> understanding of what the time is.

> This is crucial for things as mundane as consistent end user experience
> (who posted first?) to ensuring network security.
>
> Cheers,
> Hugh

I can’t see how knowing who posted what first on Facebook, Instagram etc
affects the user experience, when differences in time are any less than a
second. So I am not convinced that timenut-grade oscillators are needed for
that purpose!  I don’t know if accurate timing is important for network
security.

As far as I am aware, of the 7 base SI units (metre, second, kelvin,
candela, ampere, kilogram and mole), the second is the only SI base unit
where low uncertainty is important to a large number of people. The
instances where it is important seem to be limited to

* Navigation systems (eg GPS)
* Telecommunications
* Financial transactions.

Sure, timing is important for radio astronomy as someone mentioned, but
that doesn’t have any practical impact to many people.

Dave
--
Dr. David Kirkby,
Kirkby Microwave Ltd,
drkirkby at kirkbymicrowave.co.uk
https://www.kirkbymicrowave.co.uk/
Telephone 01621-680100./ +44 1621 680100

Registered in England & Wales, company number 08914892.
Registered office:
Stokes Hall Lodge, Burnham Rd, Althorne, Chelmsford, Essex, CM3 6DT, United
Kingdom